Friday, October 20, 2017

Friday Smiles # 243???


Some of my regular readers saw a sneak peek at the History Museum I visited at the end of September.  I have SO many photos, I thought I would share a few of them each Friday for awhile, along with some funny stories, quotes, verse, or jokes I found when I was cleaning my office.

I'll share the funny stuff first, so you don't have to see the photos of the museum if you are just here for Annie's Friday Smiles.

To keep a marriage brimming
With love in the loving cup,
Whenever you're wrong admit it;
Whenever you're right, shut up.
~ Ogden Nash

Q. What do you call a boomerang that doesn't come back"
A. A stick.

He thought he was a wit and he was half right.

A successful marriage requires falling in love many times, always with the same person.

An old man sees a friend sitting on a park bench weeping.  "How have things been with you, Bob," he asks his older friend.
"Great.  I just married a beautiful young woman."
"Wonderful! But then why are you crying?"
"I can't remember where I live."

I hope at least one or two of those made you smile.  Now for some photos of the History Museum.

This is the first room you enter after you pay.  Of course, all I needed was a ticket provided by the Smithsonian Museum Day event.

I loved the sign and the examples of texting a century ago.




Postcards from some of the buildings from 100 years or so ago.



I realize this may not be something you want to learn about, because most of the items here deal with either our state's sesquicentennial or interesting facts about my city.

Part of the problem is, lots of displays are behind glass and difficult to photograph.

From the time when native Americans ruled the plains.

What I loved about this museum was there were lots of hands ON things you could do,

like call a local phone number for $0.10 (1/10th of a dollar).


Of course, I had to sit in the phone booth, but could only get adequate photos from outside the booth.

You should also be able to type something on this typewriter,

but when I tried, I saw the ribbon was at the end of the spool.

I walked out of the first room and saw this picture of the History Museum in the alcove as I climbed the stairs to the second floor.  I'll share more photos from this museum next Friday.

Thanks for visiting today and now let's head to A Stitch in Time for a Friday Smile.   It's always great to start the weekend with a smile.


22 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

Thanks for sharing the funnies, I always love Ogden Nash. The museum looks very interesting, I would love to wander around there. I had an old Underwood typewriter when I was living in England! The telephone booth looks good, too, I've never seen one with a seat in it. Have a nice Friday, hugs, Valerie

Dortesjs said...

you really do see alot..thanks for showing us

Annie said...

Lovely to see you joining in this week. The funnies had me chuckling and what a wonderful museum.....all the more so by being hands on so much of it. Thanks for sharing.
Hugs,
Annie x

Frannyaitch said...

I think it's great that there are local museums. It's always interesting to know what has gone on in the past where you are living today. Thanks for sharing x

RO said...

You did bring a smile from me 3:49am here in NC, Elizabeth, and grabbed my attention with the Texting from a century ago sign. Wow!That's pretty interesting! Also, I remember quite well when phone calls were just $.10 on pay phones, which we don't see very often these days. The typewriter is fun and reminds me I had to learn on an old one (not as old as this one-lol) to pass a typing test while in training in the Air Force. I still have an electric one in storage. Hope your Friday is as fun as you are! Hugs...RO

froebelsternchen said...

I laughed a lot and had just to look out for one single word today ...wit... it is so similar to our word "WITZ" for joke - but I didn't know it yet. I will remember this!
What a super museum -- I am happy you take me with you - how would I ever visit a Kansas historical museum otherwise?! GREAT!
I love the call box with the seat in it - can imagine that some people ( like my mum as I were a kid ) were in such a phone booth for hours!!! Very clever - we never had seats in ours - not even in the very last modern ones - shame on our phone box designers!

Happy Friday my friend - we have nice weather and the dogs and I will have a long walk now - the forrest is so beautiful autumnal right now - it's really a pleasure to walk in it!
oxo Susi

My name is Erika. said...

First of all, seeing the old postcards (and bones for me too) were exciting. I think adding those to a history museum is really a good idea. Postcards are such a part of people's lives. Of course, even though that phone booth was older than me, it is interesting to think that phone booth hardly exist any more and maybe some of the newer style ones will some day be in that museum, or other museums. Times do change. With the new technology history changes faster than ever I bet. And yes, I did get a little laugh with those funnies. Happy Friday. Hugs-Erika

CJ Kennedy said...

Fun day at the museum. I loved the "texting" of by-gone days display. Too bad lots of stuff was behind glass. The phone booth made me smile and I loved the poster of Superman close-by. I also enjoyed the Friday funnies.

craftytrog said...

Great photos Elizabeth, and thanks for the laughs!
Happy weekend!
Alison xx

Let's Art Journal said...

Thanks for the smiles ...lol 😉. The History Museum looks so interesting and the postcards are fabulous! I loved seeing all the different buildings and images on them and they are such a lovely way to look back in time. Wishing you a Happy Friday and Weekend! J 😊

Divers and Sundry said...

I remember when postcards were more of a thing. So much variety! The exhibits are interesting and will be even more important as the years pass.

The boomerang joke is one of my husband's all-time favorites :)

Meggymay said...

Thanks for sharing the fun quotes, I liked the one about the bloke who couldn't remember where he lives.
The old post cards looked fantastic, great photos from the museum.
Yvonne

Anonymous said...

Half wits, old post cards and that typewriter(which is about what I learned to type on) fabulous. xox

Kate Yetter said...

Love those old telephone booths. And the Native American artifacts look so interesting. I think I might like this museum 😉
Kate

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Great post Elizabeth so much to see. Love the funnies and the Typewriter is brilliant. Have a good weekend, Angela xXx

Lowcarb team member said...

Many thanks for sharing the funnies, I enjoyed them.
Your trip to the museum looks very interesting, thanks for sharing your photographs.

My good wishes for the weekend

All the best Jan

Rita said...

I remember when you weren't supposed to leave the house without a dime in your shoe for emergencies (for the phone). And that's my typewriter that's in my bedroom! Learned on an Underwood and bought this one more for nostalgia's sake than anything. Really have to pound those keys. I had a terrible time switching over to an electric typewriter because I had a super heavy typing hand and I'd get: tttthhhheeee for the. LOL! I still type hard on the keyboard the kids tell me. ;)

pearshapedcrafting said...

Great photos- looks like a brilliant display! Loved the typewriter - just like the one my brother and I were given when we were kids! Great laughs today too! Chrisx

Halle said...

I liked the jokes...although I'm no judge. I have an odd sense of humor. :)
The museum exhibit is very cool. Makes me want to go to our MN history museum again.

Jeanie said...

A laugh indeed! And I loved the exhibit. I'm such a sucker for vintage postcards and that telephone booth really made me smile. I wish we saw more of those these days. That and the typewriter. I love that the history museum actually remembered the history and included these things.

Lisca said...

I got to this post via the 27 oct post about the museum. So immediately the first question I asked has now been answered.
I really enjoyed this part of the museum too. Of course especially the postcards. i have a few of the really old ones (from my grandmother when her bestie went to the USA)
Seeing the old pone booth brought back memories. What a good idea to put a seat in the boot so one can sit down. As Susi mentioned, we did not have those in Europe.
The typewriter is a classic. My parents had an old one like that and I learnt to type at the age of ten on one of those. Fairly soon after that, we aquired a more recent model, a reject from dad's office which had a double carriage. It was quite heavy to move the carriage back after each line. Oh sweet memories.
Thanks for taking me to the museum,
Lisca

Lisca said...

Sorry for the typing errors. I was typing quite fast and this computer does not have a spell checker (well, it has but only in Spanish)..